Russ Adkins’ practice includes business, probate and contract litigation, personal injury litigation for both plaintiffs and defendants, medical malpractice defense and healthcare law. He is certified as a Civil Trial Specialist by the National Board of Trial Advocacy. He is also listed with the Tennessee Supreme Court Commission on Alternative Dispute Resolution as a Rule 31 Mediator. Adkins has over 25 years of experience handling complex cases in state and federal courts. He has tried nearly 25 jury cases as solo or first-chair trial counsel.
He has successfully tried jury and non-jury cases of many varieties, including medical malpractice, will contests, premises liability, automobile accidents, and employment and noncompete agreements.
His health law practice includes advising healthcare practitioners concerning statutory and regulatory compliance, drafting and reviewing contracts, and defending health providers in disciplinary and credentialing matters.
Professional Activities & Honors
- Listed in Mid-south Super Lawyers 2014-present
- Board Certified in Civil Trial Advocacy by National Board of Trial Advocacy
- Tennessee Supreme Court Rule 31 Listed General Civil Mediator
- American Board of Trial Advocates
- Kingsport Bar Association (Past President)
- SBK Animal Center (Vice President)
- Kingsport Office of Small Business and Entrepreneurship (past Chair)
- Rotary Club of Kingsport (Past President)
- Boys & Girls Club of Greater Kingsport (Past President)
- Greater Kingsport Family YMCA (Past President)
- Kingsport Area Chamber of Commerce (Past Board of Directors)
- Executive Counsel, Tennessee Bar Association Tort & Insurance Practice Section
Representative Published Cases & Publications
- Linkous v. Lane, 276 S.W.3d 917 (Tenn.Ct.App. 2008)
- Sampson v. Wellmont Health System, 228 S.W.3d 124 (Tenn. Ct. App. 2007)
- Frye v. Blue Ridge Neuroscience Center, P.C., 70 S.W.3d 710 (Tenn.Ct.App. 2002)
- Fain v. O’Connell, 909 S.W.2d 790 (Tenn. 1995)
- Cross v. McCurry, 859 S.W.2d 349 (Tenn.Ct.App. 1992)
- Baumrucker SJ, Adkins RW, Stolick M, Vandekeift G, Schmidt LS, Mingle P., Surrogates with conflicting interests: who makes the decision? Am J Hosp Palliat Care. 2012 Sep; 29(6): 497-500. Epub 2012 Jul 9. PubMed PMID: 22777406.
- Baumrucker S, Schmidt L, Stolick M, Adkins R, Carter G, Oertli K, Ethics Roundtable: Can Health Care Mandate Drug Rehabilitation as a Precondition for Treatment? Home Health Care Management & Practice 25(2) 84-89 (April 2013).
- Baumrucker SJ, Oerlti RK, Stolick M, McCall-Burton M, Schmidt LS, Adkins RW, Vandekieft G. Whose “Best Interests” Are at Stake? Am J Hosp Palliat Care. 2013 Jul 17. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 23869028.
- Baumrucker SJ, Hutchinson L, Stolick M, Carter GT, Oertli RK, Schmidt LS, Adkins RW. “Life Support After Brain Death.” Am J Hosp Palliat Care. 2014 Apr 11. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 24728203.
- Baumrucker SJ, Hutchinson L, Oertli RK, Stolick M, Adkins RW, VandeKieft G. “The Partial Code Blue.” Am J Hosp Palliat Care. 2014 Jul 11. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 25015067.
- American Health Lawyers Association
- Tennessee Bar Association – Health Law and Litigation Sections
- American Bar Association – Health Law and Tort Trial and Insurance Practice Sections
- Kentucky Bar Association