Joel A. Conkin concentrates his practice primarily in estate planning, estate administration, tax increment financing and commercial real estate. Joel has significant experience preparing estate plans for his clients from the simple to the very complex. He serves as Chair of the Wilson Worley estate planning practice group. Joel has served twice as President of the Tri-Cities Estate Planning Council and is a frequent speaker and lecturer on matters involving estate planning and administration. He also is experienced as a litigator in will contests and will construction cases.
Joel also has considerable experience in the areas of tax increment financing and redevelopment law having served as legal counsel on the first tax increment financing project in the Tri-Cities area. He currently represents several local governmental entities in their tax increment financing and redevelopment efforts. Joel also frequently represents lenders and developers in commercial real estate financing and development transactions.
- Representation of local redevelopment authorities in redevelopment programs involving numerous tax increment financing totaling in excess of $100 Million.
- Representation of developers, investors and non-profit organizations in numerous low income housing tax credit developments
- Representation of local housing authority in $35 Million HOPE VI Project which included the acquisition, demolition and reconstruction of dozens of parcels of property
- Representation of numerous clients by providing estate planning services, including the preparation of power of attorney, last will and testaments, life estate deeds, living trusts, living wills, advance care plans, irrevocable trusts, life insurance trusts, charitable remainder trusts, grantor retained annuity trusts qualified personal residence trusts, self settled asset protection trusts and other related matters.
Professional Activities & Honors
- American Bar Association (Real Property, Probate and Trust, Affordable Housing and Community Development Sections)
- Tennessee Bar Association Member (Tax, Probate and Trust Law Section)
- Kingsport Bar Association Member
- Tri-Cities Estate Planning Council, Member of Board of Directors and Past President
- Leadership Kingsport Class of 199
- 2007 Forty Under Forty Honoree – Tri-Cities Business Journal
- Member of Kingsport Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors
- Kingsport Community Foundation, President and Member of Board of Directors
- Member of the Holston Valley Medical Center Board of Directors
- Past member of the Board of Directors of the Greater Kingsport Family YMCA
- Served two terms as President of the Mountain Region Speech and Hearing Center